For the cake mix:
For the apple:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
I always make the apple first, I'm not really sure why!
- Heat the butter in a medium non-stick, oven-proof frying pan, over a medium heat
- When the butter begins to melt, add the sugar, and allow to begin to caramelise, then add the lemon juice
- Add the quartered apple wedges to the pan, tossing well, to thoroughly coat them in the caramel, and continue heating through for 4-5 minutes then take off the heat and leave for later.
Putting together the cake mix -
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl
- Add the flour and baking powder, mixing well, as you do
- Gradually add the beaten eggs and then stir in the walnuts and oats
- Gently fold in the apple mixture
- Half fill 12 muffin cases with mixture
- Top with a sprinkling of brown sugar, cinnamon, oats and chopped walnuts
- Bake in the oven for around 13minutes.