Shabby Blog

Friday 19 October 2012

Our Dream Kitchen - with help from Rated People

I barely know where to start when trying to document our kitchen renovation requirements.  Let me first explain that our kitchen is the last room we are attempting to tackle in our house since we bought it nearly 2 1/2 years ago.  I am sitting at my keyboard now and I know I need to go and take some photos to document the work required but I am a little scared!  There is currently, missing plaster on the walls, bodged tiling, a cooker who's front has fallen off and... a few holes in the floor! (To name but a few of the issues.)

Our ideal Ikea Kitchen haven
Me trying my best to spruce up broken cupboards, extractor AND cooker)
We put off work in the kitchen as I think we were trying to avoid admitting that there were some quite serious problems in there to tackle that would require a bit of investment time and money wise.  Now we have a semi-mobile baby scooting around we must take action on the holes at least!

So here goes with our major renovation plans!

First we need to tackle the floor.  That means ripping out the entire kitchen, cutting out all the rotten floor boards, treating the surrounding area and then relaying a new floor.  The bodge jobbers who previously owned the place laid wall tiles as floor tiles directly on to the floor boards.  needless to say, until yesterday this was lurking underneath our ill fitting dishwasher and washing machine.



We really were at the mercy of our appliances as we knew that sooner or later one of them would go through the floor. (Particularly when the washing machine was doing a spin cycle) Poking around with the help of my dad yesterday confirmed this and thanks to his hard work he has fixed the floor for us.


So, now the floorboards fixed we need to move on to the other troubled areas and could really use a financial boost to get things under way, especially if we want to have it done before next Christmas!





Please excuse the pictures above, I fear I should have had a health warning on the top of this post.  It would mean so much to us to be able to sort these out.  At the moment it seems hard to believe that it will ever be our dream kitchen but I am convinced we can get there with just a bit of help.  So to inspire us all I have created a wonderful inspiration board of what we have in mind.


Here is my Pinterest board of just some of the inspiration I would like to bring to our dark, dank and thoroughly dreadful kitchen! So, tots100 & Rated People, is our challenge accepted?


ratedpeople.com renovation

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to wish you good luck your kitchen is a worthy cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your support! We will get there eventually I hope :)

    ReplyDelete

Share

Search This Blog